“Baby, it’s cold outside!” You’ve probably heard this familiar Christmas song’s refrain more times than you can count, but it certainly rings true for those of us living in the Northeast. Thankfully, after a long day of shopping for holiday gifts, you can escape from the blustery winds to the pleasant warmth of your home. But if you keep your home at a very high temperature, your energy bill will be through the roof. So how can you stay warm while still keeping energy costs within a reasonable range?
- Bundle up! Sure, you might be comfortable walking around the house in a short-sleeved shirt, but if you put on a sweater, you’ll be able to stay comfortable while keeping the house at a lower temperature. Don’t forget fuzzy socks and slippers, too!
- Utilize curtains effectively. If you open your curtains during the day, especially if they are south-facing, the light from the sun will warm your house. However, as soon as the sun goes down, close them up to keep the heat inside. Consider purchasing thicker curtains as added insulation.
- Block drafts wherever possible. If you see space between the bottom of your door and the threshold, you are losing heat. You can adjust the threshold higher so that there is less space, or try blocking it with fabric while you are at home.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Setting the temperature lower when the family is at school and work or when everyone goes to bed can save you about 10% on your energy bill. If you find that you are chilly at night, just pile on the blankets! Since the thermostat is programmable, you can also set it so that it’s warm when you have to get up in the morning.
- Use space heaters. Especially if you live in a larger house, you might be paying to heat rooms that no one is in. A space heater uses less energy to bring the room to a comfortable temperature and allows you to set your thermostat lower.
Perhaps one of the most important things you can do this winter to stay warm is to keep your HVAC system running smoothly. Cold 1 Services is your number 1 place for heating and air conditioning in Mount Laurel, South Jersey, and the Philadelphia area. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that our certified technicians have performed maintenance on your system, reducing the possibility of an emergency repair. However, sometimes the unexpected happens, and that’s why Cold 1 Services is available 24/7 for your HVAC heating and air conditioning in Cherry Hill and surrounding areas.
Give us a call at 215-310-0116 or 856-375-1472 today for more information.